Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.

Keto Crispy Chicken Skin Chips (Oven or Air Fryer)

Written By Unknown on Monday 23 September 2024 | 04:27


The ultimate keto Chicken Skin Chips are just as crispy and with a crunchy texture of potato chips, but without the carbs or having to fry them!! 9 grams of protein for 1 ounce!

Where can I Buy Chicken Chips?

If you've always been a lover of crunchy, crispy potato chips, but you choose not to eat them on your low carb keto diet, be sad no more!

You can now indulge in the ultimate crispy chip without the guilt or the carbs! 

Whole Foods actually sells chicken chips by the brand Wilde and they are good! My youngest son loves them. The only problem is that they are so good, you want to eat the whole bag. 

Not an issue if they didn't have other ingredients in them like tapioca flour which makes one serving about 10 carbs and maltodextrin which can spike blood sugar.

There are 2 servings which means if you eat the whole bag you're at 20 carbs! Not bad for my 13 year old son, but not good for me on my keto diet. 

I've also seen the brand Flock Chicken Skin Chips at Whole Foods as well and also both are on Amazon, but are expensive and they use soybean oil which is inflammatory to the body.

Using real premium chicken skins and for less expense than buying store bought Flock chicken chips,  you can make your own at home for a perfectly crispy, tasty, high protein snack with no added sugar!

Where can I buy just Chicken Skin?

I like to buy organic only premium chicken if I'm going to eat the skin. Simple clean ingredients is all I want when I want a keto friendly tasty snack without mystery ingredients in store bought keto snacks.

I purchase organic chicken online through Wild Pastures as well as my local Whole Foods. 

I've also asked at Whole Foods if they had just the chicken skin from the boneless, skinless chicken they processed and they gave it to me. It wasn't free, but I was happy not to have to take the skin off the chicken myself. 

I've even found some organic chicken breasts and chicken thighs at my local grocery store, but they don't often save the chicken skins when I've asked, especially if they sell skinless chicken. 

Crispy Chicken Skin Chips

Crispy chicken skins provides that truly crisp chip like regular potato chips you've always wanted in a low carb chip.

Completely satisfying and so easy to make! All you need is some chicken skin and sea salt and black pepper and your oven or air fryer!

 Lay them flat, even cut some if they are too large, but of course remember, they will shrink! Then you let the oven do the rest of the job!

No need to give yourself the hassle of frying, the oven works perfectly!

There is just something about chicken skin that makes you feel happy! It's so tasty and delicious but if you grew up like I did, in the fat free era, chicken skin was a no no.

Once I went low carb and keto, I finally realized fat wasn't the problem, carbs were. Fat doesn't make us fat! 

When combined with carbs it's a bad thing, but eating fat without the carbs, is wonderful.

Chicken skin chips are just like bacon to me, a treat. I don't consume either on a daily basis. I enjoy them occasionally.

If you're still not sure what the difference is between low carb and keto diet, read about my 6 week results here which might help you understand it more. 

Dips to serve with Chicken Chips

Pico de Gallo

Salsa

Guacamole

Ranch dressing

Can I use Rotisserie Chicken Skin?

You could probably pull the skin off a rotisserie chicken but I've not tested it myself. I'm thinking that because it's already been cooked, you definitely won't need to cook it as long as you would with raw uncooked chicken skin.

I'd also recommend skipping any salt and pepper as rotisserie chicken already has a dry rub of seasonings on it. 

How to Store

Leftover chicken chips can get rubbery the next day, so I recommend eating them on the day you cook them. If you do have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days.

More Low Carb Chips

Looking for more delicious low carb chip recipes? I've got a bunch! 

Salt and Vinegar Zucchini Chips are one of the most popular recipes on my website.

I've also made Sour Cream and Onion Cucumber Chips and Spicy Nacho Chips and White Cheddar Chips!

You'd be surprised but I've even made Eggplant Parmesan Chips and Salt & Pepper Cabbage Chips! 

Keto Chicken Skin Chips

Print

Keto Crispy Chicken Skin Chips (Oven or Air Fryer)

These chicken snack skins are a crunchy snack and even better than potato chips because they are the ultimate guilt free snack!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Servings 3 servings @1 ounce
Calories 81kcal
Author Brenda Bennett/ SugarFreeMom

Ingredients

  • ½ pound chicken skin ( about 4 pounds of bone in chicken thighs)
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt and black pepper
  • optional: ¼ teaspoon of each; onion powder, garlic powder or your favorite seasonings

Instructions

Oven

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheet pans with parchment paper.
  • Spread chicken skin flat and in a single layer on pans. Use a sharp knife to cut some extra large pieces in half, if desired. Season both sides with a little bit of salt and pepper.
  • Place another piece of parchment paper over the skins on both sheet pans.
  • Place another baking sheet on top of the pans to weigh down and help prevent the skin from curling.
  • Bake 20 minutes then rotate pans. Continue to bake until 40-45 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer skins to a paper towel to drain excess grease. Enjoy immediately!

Air Fryer

  • You can line the bottom of the air fryer or rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper before adding the raw chicken skins on top of the air fryer basket or stainless steel wire rack. When you’re done cooking, just carefully lift up the foil or parchment paper and discard. 
  • Lay three or four chicken skins in a single layer, skin-side down, on the air fryer basket and program the air fryer to cook at 400°F for 12 minutes.
  • At the halfway point (6 minutes), flip the chicken skins over so they are skin-side up.
  • Air fry the chicken skins the remaining 6 minutes or until crispy. Add a minute or two to the cooking time if the skin is still a little flabby.
  • Remove the chicken skin from the air fryer and place on a wire rack to cool.
  • Dump out any chicken fat on the bottom of the air fryer before repeating the steps with the remaining chicken skins.

Notes

This recipe was first published in Sept 2019.

Nutrition

Serving: 1serving @ 1 ounce | Calories: 81kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 53mg | Potassium: 113mg | Vitamin A: 23IU | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg
SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment