Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.
Home » , , , , » What we do to minimise exposure to man-made chemicals

What we do to minimise exposure to man-made chemicals

Written By Unknown on Thursday 9 March 2017 | 17:21


In our everyday routines, we come across too many man-made chemicals to even count!

According to the World Wildlife Fund, we now produce more than 400 million tons of man-made chemicals every single year. And while many of them are quite useful – like disinfect, for example – experts still don’t really know how their widespread use will affect our health and the planet long-term.

With the jury still out on whether some of these chemicals could actually be linked to hormonal issues and cancer, we try minimise exposure wherever we can. Which can actually be as easy as choosing a new toilet paper!

Eau so natural.

At IQS, we’re a perfume-free office. Synthetic fragrance can contain phthalates, which are associated with hormone issues. Also, some people are sensitive to strong chemical smells!

“My chemical intolerance is triggered most aggressively by perfume,” says Sarah. “And when I’m in contact with perfume I get inflamed. I’m left foggy-headed, aching in my joints. My feet and hands swell and I feel nauseous.”

Toxin-free washing? It’s essential.

While nobody wants smelly clothes, the amount of chemical-laden liquid we use to do the washing is massive! Our social media manager Annabella has a sweet solution.

“I add lime essential oil to my washing to make it smell nice without the chemicals,” she says. “I also add it to my drinking water for a little kick! Just make sure you get a food-grade essential oil.”

A natural glow (well, almost).

While sunbaking isn’t an option, the ingredients on a bottle of fake tan are confusing at best.  This has persuaded our office manager Maddison to go au naturale with organic brand Eco Tan.

“My tip is to check out the ingredient list on your skincare products. If you can’t pronounce the ingredients, put the bottle down and walk away!”

The old lemon trick.

For jobs that don’t require a deep clean, our customer service team lead Becky uses a mixture of vinegar and lemon to wipe down surfaces. We’ll have to steal that tip!

“This way, I don’t need to worry about my kitchen being contaminated with any nasty chemicals. As a plus, it makes my home smell like a chip shop!”

Under the skin.

Our skin is our largest organ, so it’s important we look after it. Our writer Rachel steers clear of anything with artificial ingredients (like foaming agents, phthalates and parabens).

“Having sensitive skin, I’ve trialled every brand under the sun. Only once I switched to a natural, hypoallergenic brand did I realise, it was actually the chemicals making me flare up,” she says.

The bottom line.

Yup, we’re talking about chemical-free toilet paper (trust us, some of the scented varieties ain’t natural). In the office, we use Who Gives A Crap, made from 100 per cent recycled fibres.

“I love it so much I bought a huge order for my home,” says senior writer and editor Camilla. “Plus, they donate 50 per cent of profits to those in need!”

What do you do to minimise exposure to toxic chemicals?

SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment