Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.

How to stay sugar-free when visiting London

Written By Unknown on Monday 29 May 2017 | 23:01


British food, if I may, doesn’t have the healthiest reputation.

Pies, pasties and puddings, oh my. I thought my fears were confirmed last year when I visited and the B&B we stayed in served us chips with breakfast!

When I moved to London permanently, I wondered whether I could really stay sugar-free. Luckily, I’ve learnt a lot about where to get cheap, healthy foods (avoid tourist traps).
If you’re visiting the UK, here’s what you need to know.

Find a farmer’s market.

One of the great things about London is there are so many food markets. My favourite is Borough Market, although you do have to sidestep the hot mulled cider and fudge stands to get to the fresh veg.
Also, check out the Indian food stalls around town – the spices will rock your world.
I Quit Sugar - How to stay sugar-free when visiting London

Picture: @life.in.fiction

Know your supermarkets.

On a budget? You’ll soon run out of money if you’re buying your groceries at M&S or Waitrose. The food is just as fresh at budget retailers like Aldi, Lidl, Sainsbury’s and Tesco.

Remember to take your canvas bags, as UK supermarkets charge for plastic!

Go brunching.

It’s not all scones and crumpets. Most cafes have some solid healthy options like omelettes or even a warming bowl of porridge sprinkled with cinnamon.

Don’t buy the avo toast though or you’ll never afford a first home deposit.
I Quit Sugar - How to stay sugar-free when visiting London

Picture: @life.in.fiction

Keep savoury snacks.

If you’re walking around the city all day, chances are you’ll get peckish. It’s times like these a glazed Yum Yum from Greggs seems extra tempting! I pick up a bag of cashews for big days out.

Squirrels also love them, which fits right into my squirrel-stalking hobby.
I Quit Sugar - How to stay sugar-free when visiting London

Picture: @life.in.fiction

When in doubt, Itsu.

Most high street food chains have something healthy on offer (in a worst case scenario, know there’s usually a Pret A Manger selling salad five minutes away from you).

My favourite chain is Itsu, with miso-poached eggs, low-carb salads and plenty of fresh sushi.

Enjoy what’s on offer.

It’s important to eat healthy even when on holiday to keep up your immunity and stamina. But you also have to enjoy yourself.

If an afternoon tea or Friday night fish and chips is going to make you happy, then go for it!
I Quit Sugar - How to stay sugar-free when visiting London

Picture: @life.in.fiction

SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment