Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.
Home » , , , , » The 7 things our nutritionist ALWAYS buys at the grocery store

The 7 things our nutritionist ALWAYS buys at the grocery store

Written By Unknown on Thursday 9 November 2017 | 17:45


If there’s one thing I’m really good at, it’s shopping.

And whilst homewares, shoes and stationery are up high up on the list of things I LOVE to buy, I also happen to be one of those few people who actually enjoy going to the supermarket

Although my shopping list varies week-to-week, depending what I’ve got planned for dinner, these are the seven items that it’s safe to say, I never leave the store without…

Eggs.

Surprising, I know – a nutritionist that always buys eggs. But seriously, they’re my go-to breakfast, my back-up lunch and my lazy dinner. If I don’t have them sunny side up for brekkie with some spinach and avo, I’ll add them to a salad at lunch or if I’m having one of those days when I just can’t bring myself to cook a big meal, I’ll oven roast some veg and pop a couple of fried eggs on top for dinner. They’re a great source of protein and fats, which help to keep me nice and full until my next meal. I always opt for free-range organic too, that way I know they’ve come from the healthiest source with the highest nutritional content.

Sirena Tuna (in oil, of course).

I grew up on tuna sandwiches, so while I know a lot of people don’t really like the idea of eating fish out of a can, I’m a fan (unintentional rhyming). Sirena has always been my favourite brand, so you’ll always find a few cans in my shopping basket and a stockpile in my pantry – chilli oil being my absolute favourite. It’s also super convenient and a great way to add a little protein to your lunchtime salad if you forget your leftovers at home. I don’t drain the oil out either, because oil is life and wasting it would be a Greek tragedy.

Nut butter.

My name is Georgia and I’m a nut-butter addict – sometimes I eat it straight from the jar with a spoon! Seriously though, nut butters are my weakness and no matter how many jars I have in my pantry, there’s always room for one more. I always opt for 100 per cent natural, ensuring the only ingredient is the nut itself, that way I know it’s not packing any sugary nasties or preservatives. In the afternoon, if I feel like something sweet, having a spoon (or two) of healthy fat-filled nut butter keeps me at bay until dinner.

Lindt 90% dark chocolate.

Despite its bitterness, I love the taste of 90 per cent dark chocolate! I’ve never had a super sweet tooth and love bitter flavours (you’ll often find me in the office eating lemon wedges!), and I find that a square or two goes a long way. The nutritional profile is actually pretty amazing too, with just 1.3g sugar per serve… perfect if you’re looking for a treat.

Zucchinis.

Hands down my favourite vegetable. I love them every which way –  fried, grated into salads, shaped into fritters, boiled and dressed with lemon and olive oil, or spiralised with a good mound of bolognese sauce on top. My Papou (grandfather) had a huge vegetable garden and as a kid he’d teach me how to pick them and let me help in the kitchen when he’d make ‘Kolokithokeftedes’ or Greek zucchini balls – so me and the humble zucchini go way back.

Lemons.

… on everything. It’s my second favourite condiment (next to olive oil),  to the point where I squeeze them over my meatballs (don’t knock it til you try it) and even put them on my blueberry pancakes (again, don’t knock it til you try it). I also add a slice or two to my water, as I find it forces me to drink more throughout the day.

Greek yoghurt.

I lived in London for a couple of years and became obsessed with Fage Total Greek Yoghurt. It’s super creamy, it only has three ingredients (pasteurised cow’s milk, cream and live active cultures), and it has a whopping 9g of protein per serve. It’s also low in sugar, so for all of our UK I Quit Sugar fans, I definitely recommend getting your hands on this stuff! If you’re in Aus, my go-to is Farmer’s Union Greek Style Yoghurt for all of the same reasons. Great for brekkie mixed with oats and berries, mixed with tahini for a dipping sauce with some crudites, or if you’re adding lemons to your shopping basket like me, do me proud and whack in some diced cucumber and make some Tzatziki!

SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment