Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.
Home » , , , , » 6 easy tips for eating on the cheap (no more instant noodles!)

6 easy tips for eating on the cheap (no more instant noodles!)

Written By Unknown on Thursday 6 April 2017 | 22:38


Living on a tight budget? You might think eating healthily is just too darn expensive.

But we’re here to tell you, eating cheap does NOT mean chowing down on instant noodles night after night!

We consulted our product manager – and resident supermarket savings guru – Matt for his tips for eating healthy on a budget.

With a bit of forward planning and a few clever hacks, even the most “Miserly Matt” can jam-pack the nutrients into every meal and still have cash to spare!

(Want even more guidance for eating healthily on a budget? Watch this space, we have something really exciting launching next week!)

1. Buy meat on sale.

“Proteins are usually the most expensive part of the weekly shop. So I head straight to the meat department and buy up whatever’s on sale. I’ll then plan my meals around that. If something’s really cheap, I’ll buy double and freeze for later.”

2. Love the frozen section.

A lot of people think frozen veggies have fewer nutrients, but with many snap frozen straight off the farm it actually can be the other way around.

“I always have a bag of frozen peas in my freezer to get an extra serving of veg into a meal. And for when I really am scraping the bottom of the barrel (or fridge shelf!).”

3. One base: Four meals!

“I usually make a delicious base meal like a slow-cooked lamb, chilli con carne mince or a spicy vegetarian bean combo at the beginning of the week. Then I use that as the base for a lot of different dishes throughout the week, adding different veg, spices, grains and fats.

“My fave combo is chilli con carne on the first night with some fresh salad ingredients and corn chips. Then I use it to top off baked sweet potatoes, then serve it with brown rice and yoghurt, then spread it onto a pita bread for a homemade pizza!”

4. Invest in a slow cooker.

“I love my slow cooker. It’ll make a decadent dish out of any cheap, daggy cuts of meat and veg.

“It’s also super handy if you work full time and don’t have a bae at home to cook you dinner. Put it on in the morning and dinner is all ready when you get home! This Hungarian Goulash is a dinner winner.”

5. Shop at the deli section.

Feta will cost you about $2 or $3 from the deli, rather than $6 or $7 for the same amount in a packet! Cold meats like ham and olives are also normally much cheaper.

6. Bulk it out.

“I always finish out my meals with whole grains and legumes (brown rice and chickpeas are my favourite!). They’re satiating and also packed with nutrients to keep me going for longer.”

Grains and beans are even cheaper bought in bulk and they keep for ages when properly stored. Same goes for nuts and seeds.

SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment