Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.
Home » , , , , » The true secret to “Wellth” (+ how mindful eating can change your life)

The true secret to “Wellth” (+ how mindful eating can change your life)

Written By Unknown on Thursday 27 October 2016 | 22:09


Jason Wachob, the founder of MindBodyGreen (and an old mate of Sarah’s), has been busy getting wellthy.

Nope, that’s not a typo. It’s the title of Jason’s new book, Wellth: How I Learned to Build a Life not a Résumé in which he redefines the idea of a joyful, abundant life outside the parameters of money. (We caught up with Jason a few months ago and have been eagerly awaiting our copy!)

In this edited excerpt, Jason looks at one of the first and most essential aspects of accruing wellth: how we nourish our bodies.

***

To be truly wellthy is to find your personal prescription.

To discover what works for you, what feels good, what you love. That process of discovery never ends…

Keep in mind that our diets and bodies change, so it’s important to listen and fine-tune your diet whenever you sense that something may be off, whether it’s digestive issues, a lack of energy, weight gain, or boredom and a lack of pleasure in your eating.

Tune in to what feels good, Be open to change, Our bodies are constantly shifting, and so should our personal approaches to wellness.

Keep it simple.

There are so many different viewpoints about food … merely shopping for dinner can be overwhelming. But a few straightforward suggestions can help streamline the process.

Keep it simple. Try to avoid … sugar and processed foods wherever possible. If it’s in a box and has a label, try not to make a habit of buying it … Eat real food. Mostly shop at the perimeter of the grocery store and buy fresh vegetables and fruits.

[Editor’s note: We’re okay with some frozen vegetables and fruits, too. Just look our for any added nasties.]

Diets come and go.

I don’t believe in diets per se … I choose to be mindful. I want to know where my food comes from. I want to know if it was sprayed with chemicals or if any antibiotics were used on it. I want to know if it contains added sugar or gluten. I want to know if it was processed.

Sugar should be a treat, not a habit. Treats are a part of finding balance, until they become habitual, and that is when mindfulness becomes mindlessness.

When I don’t have all the facts, I want to be mindful that I’m making a choice. Sometimes I get pure, albeit fleeting, joy from eating a delicious [processed, sugar-laden] donut. But when I do make that choice, I want it to be me who has made that decision, And I want to be okay with it.

Life – and junk food – happens.

Contradictory? No, I don’t think so. People aren’t machines, and so we can be inconsistent. Human? Absolutely, yes.

How do I balance eating the occasional doughnut while at the same time believing that sugar is terrible? The key word in that last sentence is balance.

Sugar should be a treat, not a habit. Treats are a part of finding balance, until they become habitual, and that is when mindfulness becomes mindlessness.

Whatever you choose to eat, be mindful about it, so you can fully enjoy your choices. [And] when in doubt, eat vegetables!

You can read more about Jason’s approach to Wellth in his new book, Wellth: How I Learned to Build a Life not a Résumé.

SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment