Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.
Home » , , , , » Here’s what healthy people do before they go to bed

Here’s what healthy people do before they go to bed

Written By Unknown on Monday 17 October 2016 | 22:40


Is your nightly routine helping you get to sleep, stay asleep and wake up feeling refreshed for the day ahead? No?

You’re not alone. According the the Sleep Health Foundation, one in three Australians don’t feel like they’re catching quality Zzzs. So, we asked the IQS team, as well as some of our IQS Experts, what they do before hitting the hay.

From ritual teatime to an evening stroll, you might want to try some of these next time the snooze express rolls around.

Time for tea.

For our customer support team lead Rebecca, a cup of tea before bed signals that it’s time to switch off.

“I find the sound of the kettle boiling, the smell when I open my favourite jar of the tea, the feeling of the warm mug in my hands reminds me to take a few minutes to reflect on my day.”

A springtime stroll.

Part of naturopath and IQS Expert Claire Grullemans’ evening routine is an after dinner walk to aid digestion.

“When we eat one or two hours before bed, we don’t allow our digestive system to function at its optimum. Try eating earlier and walking after your meal. You will feel lighter and brighter the next day.”

Stressing less.

CEO Zoe always takes two generous teaspoons of magnesium citrate in warm water before nodding off.

“Magnesium enables your muscles to relax and helps prevent headaches, constipation, cramps, and more. It helps me cope with stress and ensures I get a good night’s rest.”

Dreaming sweet.

For personal trainer and  IQS Expert Diana Tencic, it’s all about the wind down.

“Right before bed I usually enjoy a herbal tea and then apply lavender oil both on my pillow and temples. The oils distract my busy mind by way of drawing my focus to breath and smell.”

Sunrise, sunset.

Our food and recipes manager Meg turns to the sun for a little help.

“Watching the sunset and sunrise is really good for your sleep/wake cycle. So I try to walk to the nearby park and watch the sunset over the city as often as I can, or wake up for an early morning sunrise-watching sesh.”

Phone free zone.

Dietician and IQS Expert Natalie Bourke avoids looking at her phone and computer after dark to free up her evenings for reconnecting with her partner, dog walking and meditation.

“I also wear some funky blue light blockers once the sun goes down, to help reduce stimulation from artificial light.”

Meditating on the day.

If your day is super busy, it can be really tough to switch off at night. Which is why nutritionist and IQS Expert Angelique Panagos swears by her 10-minute nightly meditation routine.

“It helps to calm my busy mind, and also allows me to give thanks and practice the attitude of gratitude – important for peaceful sleep!”

Routine refresh.

Sarah is a notoriously bad sleeper, so sticking to a routine helps her catch those Zzzs.

“I have a hot shower, stretch for 10 minutes, read for 10 minutes, apply earplugs and an eye mask and a mouthguard (oh, yes… it gets THAT alluring). I apply lavender oil to my wrists, almond oil into the soles of my feet to help earth me… and sleep. If I’m lucky.”

Share your bedtime routines below!

SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment