Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.

Crispy Parmesan Tomato Chips (Baked or Dehydrated)

Written By Unknown on Wednesday 18 September 2024 | 04:27


Crispy Parmesan Tomato Chips made in your oven or dehydrator! Just 4 g net carbs per serving!

tomato chips5 (1 of 1)

Low Carb Crispy Tomato Chips

Tomato season is upon us where I live and if you happen to have a garden then you know an enormous amount of tomatoes will be upon your counter waiting for you to do something with them.

My hubby is the gardener in the family and I reap the benefits. 

I don't have a green thumb whatsoever. In fact plants come into my house to die. I've just no luck in watering enough or sometimes too much. It's not my thing and my hubby is perfectly happy to get his hands dirty in the soil.

Win for me and him I guess you could say. What I do love though is to harvest his hard work.

Then I get to create recipes using our fresh organic produce and it is a beautiful thing for sure.

tomato chips1 (1 of 1)

Carbs in Potato Chips versus Tomato Chips

Potato chips have way to many carbs if you're following a low carb or keto diet. 1 serving of Lays potato chips is just 1 ounce and it has 15 total grams of carbs according to the Cronometer app.

Our tomato chips serving is 1 large tomato. If you use large tomatoes and slice into 6 slices per tomato, your serving is 6 slices for 6 grams of total carbs. With 2 grams dietary fiber, there are 4 g net carbs per serving. 

tomato chips2 (1 of 1)

Veggie Chips

If you've followed me long enough you know I'm quite the chip girl. I like crunchy and salty and enjoy getting my fix weekly on healthier options than potato chips for a healthy snack.

My usual choice is zucchini or cucumber chips, but once I held in my hands these giant juicy beef steak tomatoes I KNEW I HAD to make them into tasty, cheesy tomato chips, even if no one else would eat them, I certainly would.

My kids aren't tomato fans, but hubby and I are.

The full recipe and all the rest of the nutritional info is at the bottom of this page on the printable recipe card. 

tomato chips3 (1 of 1)

Parmesan Tomato Chips

​These are not like parmesan crisps you can purchase at the store which contain just cheese and seasonings.

These tomato chips are kind of like sun-dried tomatoes in flavor, bold delicious flavors, but crispier!

I wanted pizza-flavored chips so I used a Perfect amount of Parmesan and Italian seasonings on every.single.chip.

I think the bigger tomato the better for this perfect snack. But just note if you use smaller ordinary tomatoes they will shrink quite a bit. It's not a problem, they will still have great flavor no matter the size of these bad boys. I don't recommend using cherry tomatoes though as they will shrink to the size of a dime!

tomato chips4 (1 of 1)

Super easy steps to make them and top with pre-grated cheese, like Parmesan or grate it yourself. You can also use a combo of types of cheeses, like Romano Reggiano. 

I chose NOT to use a mandolin because i think having your tomatoes on the thinner side won't be as good.

The thinness of your tomatoes, the more holes they will have therefore losing a lot of the seasonings and I don't think they look as pretty.

Plus I just like thicker crisp tomato chips. Hope you Enjoy as much as we did!

More Healthy Chip Recipes

​Nacho Cucumber Chips

White Cheddar Cucumber Chips

Cabbage Chips

Eggplant Chips

Ranch Zucchini Chips

Salt and Vinegar Zucchini Chips

Crispy Parmesan Tomato Chips

Print

Crispy Parmesan Tomato Chips

Servings 6 servings
Calories 77kcal
Author Brenda Bennett | Sugar Free Mom

Ingredients

  • 6 cups tomatoes thinly sliced beefsteak (about 6 slices per tomato)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped, or dried Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon
  • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
  • black pepper and red pepper is optional

Instructions

Dehydrator

  • Gently drizzle and toss the sliced tomatoes in the olive oil to coat slices.
  • Place tomato slices without overlapping in a single layer onto dehydrator tray.
  • In a small bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients.
  • Sprinkle mixture over each slice.
  • Depending on how thick the slices of tomato are, dehydrating could take anywhere from 12-24 hours.

Oven

  • Preheat oven to 275 degrees F and grease a cooling rack with cooking spray, then place on top of a large baking sheet.
  • On a large paper towel-lined plate, arrange tomatoes and cover with another paper towel, then press to release juice. Place tomatoes on cooling rack and lightly drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt, and garlic powder. 
  • Bake, checking every 30 minutes, until tomatoes are completely dried out and beginning to crisp up, about 3-5 hours.
  • Remove from oven and heat broiler. Sprinkle tomatoes with Parmesan, then broil on low until cheese is melty, 1 to 2 minutes.
  • Let cool, then remove from cooling rack. Garnish with additional salt, pepper and fresh parsley, an other fresh herbs you like or Italian seasoning, if desired, and serve.
  • Store parmesan chips in an airtight container. 

Notes

If you use 6 large tomatoes and slice into 6 slices per tomato, your serving is 1 tomato @ 6 slices. With 2 grams dietary fiber, there are 4 g net carbs per serving. 
This recipe was first published in June 2015.

Nutrition

Serving: 1serving @ 6 slices | Calories: 77kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 810mg | Potassium: 368mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1367IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg
SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment