Enjoy cooking
Browse through over
650,000 tasty recipes.
Home » , , , , » Ask an Ambassador: How do I host a low sugar kids’ birthday party?

Ask an Ambassador: How do I host a low sugar kids’ birthday party?

Written By Unknown on Wednesday 24 May 2017 | 18:21


When you first quit sugar, it’s fear of the unknown that shakes us. Will I be able to cope with cravings? Cook everything from scratch? Get my family on board?

I Quit Sugar’s Ask an Ambassador series looks at some of the challenging realities of living a low-sugar life, with tips from I Quit Sugar: 8-Week Program Ambassadors. Because we’ve been there before!

It’s my child’s birthday party… How do I host a fun party that doesn’t overload everyone with sugar?

Kids birthday parties: Fun, loud, chaotic – and usually sugar loaded! But then comes the sugary-slump.

Hosting a birthday party can seem tricky if you’ve been reducing your family’s sugar intake – but don’t stress! With a few simple changes you can drastically reduce the sugar overload, AND no one will even notice…

Find your own balance.

I recently hosted my son’s sixth birthday party where I wanted to ride the line of special treats and healthier foods (to avoid a major case of the ‘sugar grumps’).

I chose to keep the sugar to the obvious place: the cake. In busy years, we’ve bought one (without feeling guilty!). Otherwise, we make our own. Hot tip – you can halve the amount of sugar in a cake recipe and it won’t be missed.

If you want to go the whole sugar-free hog, there are plenty of naturally sweet options. IQS ambassador and mate Jenny made a cute banana cake with no added sweetener, and used a little rice malt syrup in the icing!

Provide simple, healthy snacks.

I do admire the parents who can turn a watermelon into a pirate ship, or make a train out of capsicums. I’m not one of them.

Instead, I went for simple, wholefood snacks. The kids loved fruit platters, corn on the cob, little cheeses, popcorn cups, sugar-free jelly and sausage rolls. These were easy to prepare and transport to the party venue.

Other IQS ambassadors have great party food ideas too! Claire staggers the food so that kids fill up on the good stuff first. Elise’s homemade pizzas, coconut popcorn, sandwiches and fruit skewers sound delicious! And Leanne makes her own treats from scratch and replaces sugar with stevia or rice malt syrup.

Keep them hydrated.

With water or sparkling water! We had a large water dispenser and let the kids help themselves. Add fruit for a burst of colour and flavour – my kids call this ‘fun water’. Yum!

Distract them with games and activities.

Kids of all ages love party games and activities.

Non-food items make excellent prizes (or party bags!), such as small games, colouring-in books, pens and pencils, stamps and temporary tattoos.

Alternatively, give them something that they can nurture – Claire gave away pot plants to the kids at her daughter’s party.

What questions would you like to ask our Ambassadors?

SHARE

About Unknown

0 comments :

Post a Comment